THE DEPARTMENT OF BOUGAINVILLE INDEPENDENCE MISSION IMPLEMENTATION
Headed by Secretary Stephanie Elizah under the ministerial leadership of Honorable EZEKIEL MASSAT, Member for Tonsu Constituency, ABG Attorney General and Minister for Bougainville Independence Mission Implementation.
Its mandate is focused on:
- Bougainville Independence Mission Implementation
- Former Combatants Affairs
- Negotiations with the government of PNG, Joint Supervisory Body (JSB)
- Peace and Reconciliation
THE BOUGAINVILLE CONSTITUTIONAL PLANNING COMMISSION (BCPC)
The BEC based on the Wabag Joint Statement endorsed the establishment of the BCPC on the 16th July 2021 and on February 18th 2022 endorsed 40 persons are commissioners with their Terms of Reference. The commissioners were sworn in on the 25th of February 2022 in Arawa to represent Bougainvilleans and frame a new autochthonous constitution for a Sovereign Independent State of Bougainville.
The Commission is a Bougainville Constitutional Office headed by;
- Chairperson Hon. President Ishmael Toroama,
- Chairperson Hon. Vice President Patrick Nisira,
- Deputy Chairperson Hon. Minister Ezekiel Masatt and Attorney General; and,
- Other members of the commission representing women, chiefs, business, community, youth, churches, and ex-combatants.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF BCPC
The Commission is tasked to
- Discuss with the people, ask questions and obtain their views on what type of constitution they want.
- Ensure constitution is ‘home grown’.
- Arrange public hearings and receive written submission from the people.
- Prepare a draft constitution.
- Arrange a workshop to review and discuss on the draft constitution.
- Complete a draft constitution by first quarter of 2025.
BCPC BROCHURE. Download here.
GUIDING QUESTIONS. Download here.
JOINT SUPERVISORY BODY (JSB) MEETING 2023
July 31, 2023 - ABG President Hon. Ishmael Toroama Opening Statement at the Joint Supervisory Body Meeting
July 31, 2023 - Joint Supervisory Body Meeting Resolutions
ABG urges for proactive international support amidst rising impasse on ratification
ABG addresses impasse in independence ratification process
ABG Leaders educate National MPs on Bougainville's historic and political process